I have been slacking a little bit on my character studies, since I am a few chapters into Generation 3 of Echoes of Eternity already. Anyway, my brain isn’t thinking about chapter stuff right now, but I wanted to work on something for my Sims, so I thought Patrick’s character study would be that thing. Answers to questions on here will be vague so that I don’t give anything away for anyone who hasn’t read Echoes yet. If you are someone who hasn’t read Echoes, I recommend starting at the beginning, which you can get to at this link.
Day 1 – Basics and Cosmetic
Hair color? Black with hot pink highlights
Eye color? Light brown
Skin color/nationality? Caucasian/American
Accent (if any)? American
Height? 6 foot 2
Weight? 160 pounds
Tattoos? Left sleeve tattoo, dragon on back, and dragon face on right chest
Do they have any nicknames? Where did they come from? Patrick’s nickname is The Hunter, which is his stage name for his performances.
How do they usually dress? Patrick has casual taste in clothes, unless he is working, in which case, he wears elaborate suits with coattails and top hats, or jackets with fancy embroidery on them.
What do they wear to sleep? Patrick sleeps shirtless, and in his underwear.
Do they wear jewelry? Yes, he has a wedding ring.
Is there anything about their appearance they wish they could change? No, Patrick likes the way he looks.
What do they smell like? Why (do they wear the scent or does it occur naturally)? Patrick sometimes wears cologne that he gets for free from fragrance companies because he is a celebrity.
Do they have an accurate mental picture of their appearance (how they see themselves versus how the world sees them)? Yes, Patrick has always liked his appearance and has no problem with it.
Choose a different time period and describe what your character would have been like in that time period. Patrick is very mysterious, so he would probably do well as a soothsayer in medieval times. He is also perceptive, so he would be able to observe many things that the average person wouldn’t, and he would use those as “visions” to “predict” the future. He’d be very successful at it.
What are some of your character’s hobbies? What do they do with their time? Patrick likes to cook, and perform little sleight of hand tricks on his friends and family members.
Favorite music artists? Movies or TV shows? Books or authors? Actors? Patrick prefers instrumental music as opposed to music with lyrics because it gives him time to think, and it helps with when he comes up with illusions for his job. Patrick likes movies that make him think, and he likes those procedural crime shows because he’s very detail oriented, so he likes to try to solve the crime with the police on the show. He doesn’t like reading very much because it reminds him of someone who wasn’t very nice to him. He doesn’t really have a favorite actor.
Political stance? Are they active in politics or do they not care? Patrick doesn’t do much in the way of politics, but he does have an interest in gay rights because his best friend is gay.
What are some of their pet peeves? Patrick hates it when people don’t let him express his feelings. When he has to fake how he feels, he gets very angry. He doesn’t like to suppress his anger, but he also is a very quiet person, so when he gets angry due to someone making him feel like he has to be fake with them, he really ends up not liking the person.
What sort of gifts do they like? Patrick likes gifts that have a good meaning behind them. He will accept a gift from family no matter what the reason, but he doesn’t like it when people give him gifts as a bribe. Patrick’s job deals with some shady characters sometimes, and some people try to give him stuff to get him to do what they want, but he always declines those sorts of gifts.
What is their favorite time of day? Favorite weather? Season? Time of day – Night time because of his mysterious nature, Favorite weather – Sunny and breezy, Season – Summer.
Where do they like to spend their time? Patrick likes to spend time at his best friend’s house, or at the theater where he works.
Favorite drink? Hot drinks, soft drinks, or alcohol? Patrick’s favorite drink is juice, he likes smoothies. He also loves a good celebration drink with the people he keeps under his employment.
Favorite animal? Patrick likes panthers because they’re mysterious and they blend into the night because of their dark fur.
Do they have any pets? Do they want any? Patrick has no pets, and he doesn’t want any.
What relaxes them? Sitting by the pool Patrick has at his house usually calms him down, as well as a night time stroll by the beach.
Do they have any bad habits? Patrick has a slight bad habit of not trusting people, but it works to his advantage while he’s at work.
Where did they learn their abilities? Patrick got a magic set for his fourteenth birthday, and he practiced with it a lot.
If they have an income, where does it come from? Patrick’s income comes from modeling and small movie roles he worked in as a young adult, from an accounting job he worked at for a while, and most recently, from his magic act which has become very successful.
Do they have a job? Do they like it? How do they feel about their co-workers? Patrick works in the magic industry, and he loves it, he is very passionate about magic, and performing illusions in front of large audiences. He has a team of two people he trusts with his life that help him with all aspects of his act, and a security team that protects him because his line of work can be very dangerous.
Why do they have their resources? How long have they had them, and how have they served the character over time? (Ex. Contacts, money, political power, fame, etc.) Patrick’s resources were his parents, who both work in the entertainment industry. He has had them his whole life, up until now. They’ve served him well over time, as he has never needed to struggle for money, and since he wanted to be a magician, he was already well known as a celebrity, he just had to make people stop calling him “the child of Max and Soleil” and earn his place as a celebrity. He wanted to be known for something he did, not just for being the child of famous parents.
Where does your character live? Why did they choose it, and how did they acquire it? How do they handle intruders (graciously? violently?)? Describe the space. Patrick lives by the beach in Silicon shores. He liked the beach environment more than the city area, which is where his parents live. He bought the house himself. Patrick has a gate in front of his house to keep out paparazzi. He will not do anything to them if they are just hanging around outside the gate taking pictures, but if they try to come into the gate, he will ask them politely to leave. If they still don’t, he is not afraid to tell them more firmly. If someone tries to force their way around him, Patrick will protect his home physically.
What are some of your character’s more notable merits and flaws (including physical, mental, emotional, spiritual, etc.)? How did they develop? How has this helped or hindered them in the past? Patrick’s flaw is that he lets people push him around a little too much in his personal life. He had a girlfriend who did this to him, and he didn’t know it was happening until he was in really deep. Then because he was in too deep, he felt like he couldn’t get out, so he ended up just doing what she wanted, and then he was unhappy for a long time. This flaw developed because he was very quiet, and he didn’t speak up on how he was feeling, so he just learned to do that as a grownup as well. It hindered him because he got stuck in a bad relationship.
Patrick’s merit is that he is very observant, and caring. He is able to know what someone is feeling just by looking in their eyes, even if they are pretending to smile. He can also tell if someone has bad intentions through the look in their eyes. If it is someone he cares about, he is able to go tend to them and ask them what’s wrong so he can comfort them. With the industry he is in, he can tell if someone is trying to trick him, so he is not easily conned.
How are they with technology? Patrick isn’t a large fan of technology, he acknowledges that it exists, and he doesn’t refuse to use cell phones or anything like that, but he doesn’t really use computers for fun. He’ll use them if he needs to email someone or look something up, but you will never find Patrick using a computer for recreational purposes.
Are they specially qualified in any particular field? Would they be considered at the top of the field? Patrick is a very good illusionist and magician. He is one of the top magicians in town, and he has been invited to play in larger cities, so yes, he is at the top of his field.
Have they ever been publicly acknowledged for anything? (Ex. Nobel Prize) Patrick has been asked to go to gigs at large venues, but he hasn’t ever won an award for anything.
Is there anything they’ve deliberately sought to improve at? Patrick is always wanting to improve his magic act, and he is constantly working to make more illusions for his acts so he can have something different to perform, and so he can stay current in the magic industry.
Do they speak more than one language? Yes, Patrick speaks French. His mother, Soleil, is fluent in French, so she taught him how to speak it. It came in handy when Patrick went to Paris for his honeymoon.
What is their family history like? How does it affect them? How do they feel about their family? How does their family feel about them? Patrick’s family history is fairly normal, he had a loving set of parents who taught him not to judge people, and to be accepting of everyone, as well as accepting himself for who he is. Patrick has a strong sense of self-confidence because of how his parents raised him. He loves his family a lot, and he didn’t mind being an only child. Patrick’s parents love him very much and they always want the best for him.
- What were they like as a child? Patrick was shy due to something that happened to him when he was four. He had a fear of the outdoors, but he got over it eventually.
- What was their favorite toy? Patrick loved his children’s magic set.
- Favorite game? Patrick enjoyed Monopoly.
- Playmates? Patrick hung out by himself a lot because he didn’t trust people.
- What did they want to be when they grew up? Patrick wanted to be a magician.
- Describe their best and worst memories from childhood.
BEST: Patrick loves his parents, and he enjoyed talking to them.
WORST: Patrick had an unfortunate incident when he was young that I am not giving away here. All I will say is that it caused his trust issues.
- Where did they grow up? Patrick grew up in downtown Silicon Shores, which is in California.
- How did they view it as a child, and did that change as they matured? Patrick likes Silicon Shores, but he thought the downtown was too busy of an environment for him, and as he matured, he felt like he wanted to move to a different part of the city that was more peaceful.
- How do they feel about the place now? Patrick still likes Silicon Shores, and he loves that he can now just visit downtown rather than live there.
- Do they, or have they in the past, had a mentor? Yes.
- What was their relationship with this person, and how has it changed since then? Max is Patrick’s mentor, of sorts… Max is Patrick’s father, and Patrick goes to his father for advice occasionally. His relationship with his father has gotten better, but it was always good, they just got closer as time went on.
- What sort of education have they had? Kindergarten through high school.
- Do they want more? No. Patrick already has the career he wants, and he has no need for more formal schooling.
- Who was their idol growing up? Patrick looked up to his dad, Max. Max always had a kind word to share and good advice to give Patrick.
- Who was the first person they fantasized about? Victoria’s Secret model, Alessandra.
- Who is their closest friend, and why? Emmanuel Johnston is Patrick’s closest friend because he helped Patrick get to where he is today. They work in the same business, and Emmanuel is loyal to Patrick. Patrick is grateful to Emmanuel for saving his life, as well, in a work related incident.
- What do they like to do with this person? Patrick likes to hang out with Emmanuel and drink and talk.
- Do they have any rivals? Yes.
- Who and why? Jaxson Santorini, because he is a rival magician.
- Have they ever been betrayed? Yes.
- By who, and how did it affect them? By an ex-wife, and it left Patrick feeling very depressed, sad, and angry. Patrick started feeling like he was just existing instead of living.
- What is their sexual orientation? Straight.
- Do they ever question it? No.
- When did they lose their virginity? Seventeen.
- Who to? His prom date, Jani. Where? In his car. What was it like? Awkward at first, but then very nice. Patrick and Jani both enjoyed it.
- What is their favorite sexual fantasy? Doing it backstage in one of Patrick’s boxes that he uses for his illusions.
- Do they have any particular fetishes or kinks? Patrick likes props, so if he was doing it with his hat on, it would make sex more fun for him.
- What’s the strangest thing they’ve ever done in bed? One girl Patrick had a one night stand with really liked that he was a magician, so he scattered a deck of cards across the bed and they had sex on top of the cards.
- Is there anything particular they won’t do? Patrick won’t do anything that could harm the other person.
- What are they attracted to in a partner? Appearance, support, and acceptance.
- If applicable, who is their current partner, and what attracted the character to them? Ephemera Wallace. Patrick liked that Ephemera allowed him to be himself and didn’t try to change him.
- How did they meet? Their romance started briefly at a family event, and then blossomed eight months later.
- How long have they been together? Four years.
- What kind of a relationship is it? Loving, accepting, supportive, and understanding.
- Do they have any plans for the future? Patrick wants to be with Ephemera for the rest of his life.
- What would be their perfect date? They would probably go out to dinner and then go to a theater show, perhaps to see a play, or a magic act.
- Have they ever hurt someone they loved? Yes, Patrick kept a secret from his ex-wife for one year when he felt like he was backed into a corner trying to deal with her.
- Do they fall in love easily? Yes, Patrick believes in love because he admires his parents’ relationship, so he is willing to give it a chance when he finds it. Unfortunately, this opens him up to some pain, but he doesn’t let the pain get in the way of him finding love again.
- What are their dreams? Patrick dreams of playing his magic act in Las Vegas and New York. He feels like that will be when he’s officially made it in the magic industry.
- What do they want to do someday? Patrick wants to someday have someone who loves him for him, and he wants to be happy in his thoughts.
- Are there places they want to go? Yes.
- Where and why? Patrick would love to go to Harry Houdini’s grave site because he was one of the magicians who inspired Patrick heavily in the kinds of illusions he does.
- If these don’t apply already, do they want to get married? Yes.
- Have kids? Patrick has one son.
- Would they ever consider adopting a child? No.
- Why or why not? Patrick’s son is already 18, and he is focusing on his career now, he doesn’t really want to raise another child.
- Do they have any prominent sensory associations? Patrick often heard his son sing in the shower, so he sometimes hears his son’s voice singing in his head when he misses him.
- Who do they want to meet? Patrick would have loved to meet Harry Houdini.
- What about them is heroic? Patrick chose to keep his family together when his ex-wife was giving him an ultimatum. He did what he thought was right for them, while sacrificing his own happiness because he thought that was what needed to be done for things to get better.
- What would the character be like in their old age? Patrick would be the entertaining grandfather, trying to wow the grandchildren with his magic tricks.
- Stuck in a waiting room, which magazine do they pick up? The Linking Ring, it’s a magic magazine.
- What is one thing in their past they are ashamed of? Patrick kept a secret from his ex-wife for a year. If he could have changed that, he would. At the time, he was just so angry, desperate, and at the end of his rope that he acted on impulse. He had been feeling so emasculated that he wanted to do something for himself again.
- One thing they are proud of? Patrick is proud of how he raised his son. He wasn’t perfect at doing it, but he did the best he could with what was available to him. He has a strong relationship with his son because of it, and he is very proud he was able to do that.
- Describe one fight they’ve had in the past. Patrick’s first fight with his ex-wife was about him not coming home after he had stayed at his best friend’s house after drinking too much the night before. Patrick felt like he shouldn’t drive home, so he just spent the night at his friend’s house.
- What is one thing they feel strongly about? Patrick feels strongly that a person should not have to sacrifice passion for family. If they are passionate about their job, Patrick feels like it’s possible to like your job, as well as have your family. He is an example of that, he always made sure his family was taken care of even though he worked his dream job as well.
- One trait they admire? Being supportive.
- What disturbs them? When people don’t allow others to be themselves, and instead choose to try to change each other, Patrick gets irritated.
- Do they feel the ends justify the means? Yes, Patrick believes this. No circumstance in life is completely right or wrong, and sometimes you have to do what seems wrong because it’s better for your well being at the time. This is why Patrick kept that secret from his ex-wife. He felt like he was going to fall down deeper into his depression if something didn’t change, and his ex-wife would have never let him do what he was wanting to do if he had told her. (Just FYI, the secret I talk about is NOT an affair, it is something completely different, I just realize that it might sound like an affair.)
- Are they a leader or a follower? Leader.
- Why? Patrick has usually kept to himself for most of his life, so he has learned to fend for himself and make his own decisions.
- What do they feel responsible for? (Ex. I owe it to the world to do this). Patrick wants to continue to entertain the world with his magic, and he hopes he can continue to come up with new illusions that wow audiences all around the world. He also hopes that his son can gain some self confidence for himself by all the things Patrick has taught him.
- Do they believe that a person can redeem themselves from mistakes of the past? Yes, absolutely.
- What scares them? Being forced to stop doing magic.
- How do they feel about death? Patrick has lost two people in his life who were around the same age when they died, and he feels sad that they were taken so young. Death does however, fascinate Patrick, in a way that influences him and the type of magic he performs.
- Have they been significantly affected by it? Yes.
- Do they value faith over reason or vice versa? Patrick has had to have faith when his ex-wife was acting crazy and no matter how much he tried to reason with her, it was to no avail. He’s also had faith that he could pick up the pieces of his life and start over, possibly finding the happiness that he thought he had found with his ex-wife. He probably values faith a little more than reason when reason fails him, and it has failed him more often than not.
- Do they believe in an afterlife? Yes.
- Do they have any habits that reflect their beliefs? (Ex. regular prayer, vegetarianism, etc.) No, not really, Patrick doesn’t have any ritualistic habits.
- Do they respect the beliefs of others? Yes.
- Would they be more likely to act for the good of one or the good of many? Patrick would probably act for the good of many.
- Are they manipulative? No.
- Choose a holiday and come up with a potential scenario involving your character and that holiday. Patrick and Armand are celebrating Christmas together. They cook some breakfast food together and then open presents. After that, they sit around and talk with each other.
- Is the character religious? No.
- What are their views, and why or why not? Patrick feels like there is an afterlife, but not necessarily in heaven or hell.
- How would they like to die? Of old age.
- Choose a person, historical or fictional, and write about a meeting between them and your character. Patrick and Harry Houdini would discuss illusions together, and their love of escape illusions. LOL.
This is the end of Patrick’s character study, as a tribute to him passing the torch to his son for Generation Three. Thank you to everyone who has read Echoes of Eternity, new and old readers, lurkers, and regular commenters. I love you all, and I hope you continue to enjoy my story as I go on through the generations.